Ever since I embarked on my weight loss journey in June, several things and people have tried to put me down. Its something that I have never been able to understand to this date. Losing weight in Ghana takes a lot of hard work and determination due to the following reasons:
- There are lots of carbs in our staples- rice, cassava, yam, potato. etc.
- Vegetables are very expensive here and one can't always eat kontonmire and light soup.
- Our lifestyles usually leave us eating very late at night and going to bed afterwards.
Other reasons why it is difficult is because of the people we find around us. Its like some people just want you to fail. I mean, its not my fault is I have set a goal for myself and they haven't. Here are some of the annoying things that people do.
- They tell you to lose weight and later tell you there is nothing with drinking soda drinks which are high in empty calories. Where is that contradiction coming from?
- They buy pastries as presents for you instead of healthier options like fruits.
- They laugh in disbelief when you try to share your progress and achievements with them.
- Some even go to the extent of gossiping about you and cooking up reasons for your decision to lose weight such as, the love of your life left you for a slimmer babe or that you have personality issues. Imagine that!
I remember one incident where I refused to eat the creamed salad that was added to my rice. A colleague of mine just started giving me looks and calling me a self conceited person for that. Is it by force to eat something I don't like? Eh?
Now I'm saying all these from personal experience. After losing 10kgs and hitting a plateau ( which i'm gonna break soon), I found a way to prevent the enemies of my progress from getting to me.
- I distanced myself from all those who only said negative things about my goals.
- I worked harder to prove to them that I could accomplish anything once I set my mind to do so.
- I talked to people who supported my decision to lose weight.
- I accepted the fact that people are always gonna try to pull you down no matter what.
Now, these can apply to you in other scenarios and not necessarily the one spelt out here. I'm sure that with these pointers, you can do absolutely anything.....
Today is Friday so, have a drink with friends after work to relax and enjoy the start of a wonderful weekend.